Sunday, November 28, 2010

Undoing Depression

Twelve General Principles for a Program of Recovery
from Chap. 20, Undoing Depression, Richard O'Connor

1.  Feel your feelings. 
Depression is an effort to avoid feeling to insulate myself from painful emotions.  By trying to avoid only unpleasant emotions, I miss out on good feelings to and become numb and develop Acadia. I cannot control how I experience my feelings but I can control how I express them.
Our most intense joy, our must intense pain never lasts, while depression can last a lifetime. p. 313
2.  Use your mood journal regularly.  
Knowing what made me feel bad is the first step toward recovery.  I have 3 choices in any given situation:  I can alter it, avoid it or accept it.
3.  Practice Mindfulness
Regular mindfulness meditation practice can reprogram my brain and reset the thermostat within me so I can stop obsessive worrying and experience  more happiness than ever. My mind, brain and body can work together to make me slow down and pay attention to the joys of life that I am missing.  I will then make better decisions which will help me gain greater satisfaction with my life.  I will be able to see the world and myself objectively, without the distortions of depression.  Consistent mindfulness is not easy to achieve. It is a goal to strive for through mental discipline.
4. Keep practicing.
Only by practicing new behavior -- including internal behavior like stopping obsessive thought patterns or deliberately changing my perspective--repeatedly, day after day, even when it seems like I am not going anywhere, can I build a healthy brain. Just  thinking about getting better isn't enough.
5.  Rise above depressed thinking. 
I can use the Daily Record of Dysfunctional Thoughts to help me identify my depressed thinking habits. I will identify my Inner Critic and stop listening to her.  I can remind myself that is  is a voice left over from childhood.  It is not me nor the truth about me.
6.  Establish priorities.
Review my key values.  Make a serious effort to stop procrastination and follow my priorities.
7.  Take care of yourself.  
Work on feeling proud.  Each day jot down 3 things I have done to feel good about. Pay attention to small pleasures.  Find opportunities for feeling flow - getting out of the preoccupation with clock time. Practice concentration. Make deliberate effort to focus on task at hand. Learn to relax: take a yoga course  Exercise 3x/week.  Eat healthy, delicious meals.
8.  Communicate directly.
Practice extroversion: reach out to people.  Don't give up and withdraw from conversation when you don't feel you can get a point across.  Practice metacommunication.
9.  Look for Heroes.
Find people you admire and strive to be like them.  Help them with their work.  When our models are people we respect, we respect ourselves.
 10.  Be generous.
Cultivate a true spirit of generosity.  Volunteer in the community. "Fake it till you make  it." Be courteous and thoughtful of others.
 11. Cultivate intimacy
Let down your mask.  Let your true self breathe.  Let your loved ones know your fears, doubts, inadequacies.
 12. Get help when you need it.
Identify signals and warning signs that tell you when you're slipping into depression. Set up a support system in advance--therapist and psychiatrist, support group you attend regularly.

Living according to these principles is not easy.  It requires a total commitment to change.  You must devote a lot of time to continuous self-examination and practice new skills to replace the old habits of depression. Be patient.  You'll have to practice new skills for a long time to change the brain patterns.

No comments: